Untreated sleep apnea can wreak havoc on your mind and body.
Over the past decade, research and awareness surrounding sleep apnea have developed our understanding of the alarming consequences sleep apnea has, if left untreated.
Several studies have shown an association between untreated sleep apnea and numerous comorbidities. A comorbidity is the presence of more than one life-threatening health condition in an individual at a given time.
Untreated sleep apnea is correlated with:
- Severe long-term health problems
- Cardiovascular diseases
- 37-55% increased risk of developing heart disease/congestive heart failure
- 25-45% increased risk of having high blood pressure
- 30-60% increased risk of having a stroke
- 55-58% increased risk of development of Type 2 diabetes
- Significant metabolic changes leading to obesity
- Hormone imbalances
- Immune system deficiencies
- Poor quality of life
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
- Decreased alertness
- Morning headaches
- Irritability and mood swings
- Decrease in professional or educational productivity
- Inability to concentrate
- Memory loss
- Decision-making skills
- Motor performance
- Occupational and driving accidents
- 3-7 times more likely to be involved in a car accident
- Possible criminal prosecution and civil liability for gross negligence if you fall asleep while driving
Without sleep, every system in your body suffers. If we do not spend enough time getting quality sleep, our bodies have to work overtime to repair and restore our cells and tissues.
Prompt identification and treatment are essential to avoid the significant health threats and associated costs of sleep apnea. Contact Us or talk to your doctor today to see if you are a candidate for a home sleep study.